Monday, March 16, 2009

Apologies but no dialogue


From: Rev. Byron Nelson, Interim Pastor
Trinity Presbyterian Church, Stockton, CA


Dear Dr. Cordova,
Thank you for writing again.Your arguments and concerns about our larger issues are important for Trinity to hear. But though the trees were still standing yesterday, there is no decision to change the plan. I am at fault in two things at least. One for not offering a clear apology to you in my first letter, for not contacting you in advance.

Although I have not been aware of a stated policy to let memorial donors have final say in any changes to memorials, you should have been contacted, and asked your feelings.

And second, I know better than not to make sure the committee researched any memorials before any final plans. I offer you my own apology for that failure and lack of respect for your concerns.

I have heard of one occasion when someone may have spoken falsely about your giving permission for this plan. If true, I cannot fathom why that was said, and am sorry for the additional injury upon injury of such a statement.

The prospect of "saving" the trees in any other way than keeping them where they are, is not something anyone seems to have the will to consider.

As to the parking spaces, this has been a decision not because of Trinity's immediate need, but a long-range consideration for additional parking that would be required if Trinity were to build an additional multi-purpose facility within the next 5 years. For this reason, doing all the grading and clearing now became a priority in the plan, just as the removal of all trees is

I cannot read your letters without feeling both your passion for such important issues, and for your family heritage and history at Trinity. And as a newcomer, I feel helpless to know what more to say to you. I do know that for many members still, the legacy of your family's contributions here, as well as your own, continue as part of Trinity's oral history and tradition, even if they have forgotten about the memorial in the eucalyptus trees.

I only plead for your prayers that our elders and members who are trying to make some changes, will be able to balance both respect for the past, and vision for the future. Apart from the issue of trees and parking spaces, for us to do ministry in the future as a "house of prayer for all nations", we have great challenges for change and transformation.

I am grateful for your conversation and will appreciate your continued prayers for all of us.

Sincerely,
Byron Nelson


--- On Sat, 3/14/09, Dr JoanMay T Cordova joan.may.cordova@post.harvard.edu


March 14, 2009



Dear Rev. Nelson:

Thank you for your letter on behalf of the Session. Indeed, it was the first and only correspondence from Trinity that I've ever received in regard to the proposed landscaping plan that's so unnecessarily destructive. I strongly believe that there is no value in destroying all existing trees for the sake of "landscaping" or "beautification." What message is Trinity conveying to youth about the value of destroying life?

Our planet is fragile, perhaps more vulnerable than at any other time in history. Current environmental crises remind us daily that the world doesn't need more parking lots, more cars and pollution, or any other forces that destroy life.


Trinity is a historic church with roots in the "Little Manila" neighborhood of Stockton: http://www.littlemanila.net/ For more info on Trinity church's history, please also see Voices: A Filipino American Oral History (Filipino Oral History Project, Inc,. 1984, & 2000) Voices cites excerpts from "The History of Trinity Presbyterian Church" by the late Sebastian Inosanto who describes the church's role in a historic asparagus strike in Stockton. And there's so much more history. What message is Trinity sending -- by destroying a living memorial -- about honoring memories, histories, and legacies?

As national president of FANHS, the Filipino American National Historical Society http://
fanhsis25.blogspot.com I had hoped that the FANHS national trustees and many others throughout the country would visit our historic Trinity Presbyterian Church. There are future FANHS national events planned for Stockton. The first will happen in July, 2009, when FANHS national trustees will meet in Stockton.

I think that members of my extended family might like to visit as well.

Will they see holes in the ground where Cordova memorial trees once stood?

In regard to this landscaping plan, is anyone at Trinity open to negotiation? To compromise? To more dialogue?

Has anyone considered the option of moving and replanting the eucalyptus trees?

Or is the decision to begin destroying trees a "done deal" at this point? Are they being destroyed even as I type?

It's my understanding that when decisions are made about memorial gifts, families are contacted as an expression of respect. Trinity families have decided, for example, what should happen when the memorial organ needed to be replaced. It's not clear why no one contacted me about Trinity's landscaping plan. Every single year I have been contacted for fundraising/pledge requests and have been most generous to Trinity even during the decades when I've been geographically absent. Had I been invited to the congregational meetings to discuss decisions about landscaping, I would have attempted to fly out for the meeting. At the very least, I would have sent family and friends to speak on my behalf. Many would have gladly done so.

I pray for everyone involved in this lamentable decision, especially for those who haven't been honest about this process. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

With hope,
~Dr. Joan May T. Cordova
http://forourcommunities.blogspot.com/

No comments: